Subject: bug#333 closed by Svante Signell <[email-masked]> (reply to [email-masked]) (Closing this bug due to #334 being filed.)

From: "Devuan bug Tracking System" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 13:12:25 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the usb-modeswitch-data package:

#333: usb-modeswitch no longer creates /dev/gsmmodem symlink

It has been closed by Svante Signell <[email-masked]> (reply to [email-masked]).

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Svante Signell <[email-masked]> (reply to [email-masked]) by
replying to this email.

-- 
333: debbugs.devuan.dev//cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=333
Devuan Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Closing this bug due to #334 being filed.
From: Svante Signell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 11:30:56 +0100

Subject: usb-modeswitch no longer creates /dev/gsmmodem symlink
From: Guenther Brunthaler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 22:53:54 +0200

Package: usb-modeswitch-data
Version: 20170120-1

The /dev/gsmmodem symlink is very useful as the device specified in
/etc/ppp/peers/* configurations, because it works no matter what modem
has actually been connected to the computer.

The eudev-rule from the the beforementioned package invokes the
usb_modeswitch binary with the --symlink-name which used to create the
/dev/gsmmodem symlink:

$ grep -A2 gsmmodem /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules
# Adds a symlink "gsmmodem[n]" to the lowest ttyUSB port with interrupt
# transfer; checked against a list of known modems, or else no action
KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", ATTRS{bNumConfigurations}=="*",
PROGRAM="usb_modeswitch --symlink-name %p %s{idVendor} %s{idProduct}
%E{PRODUCT}", SYMLINK+="%c"

The binary ignores the option, and hence no symlink is created.

I think the udev rule is incorrect and should invoke the
/lib/udev/usb_modeswitch shell script rather than the
/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch binary, because only the shell script supports
the --symlink-name option.

This is at least the case in the current version 2.5.0+repack0-1 of the
usb-modeswitch package.

I am using Devuan GNU/Linux 2.0 (ascii)
on branch stretch
with kernel
Linux xeeepc 4.9.0-9-686 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1+deb9u2 (2019-05-13)
i686 GNU/Linux