Subject: bug#360: emacs: No GUI emacs, no LXQT Menu for Emacs

From: Gordon Haverland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:23:47 -0700

Package: emacs
Version: 1:26.3+1-1
Severity: normal

Dear Maintainer,

I upgraded emacs on this computer (which has little Internet access),
which resulted in emac25 packages being removed.  If I start emacs-26.3
from a command line (in a TUI or xterm) I do get a working emacs.
Parts of this problem looked GTK3 relted, so I have upgraded all the
GTK3 packages that are available.  This doesn't make a difference.
There were elpa packages in the available package list, so I upgraded
those in case they caused some problem during installation which
stopped the menu entry (Programming/Emacs) from being written.  I have
re-installed all the emacs packages, which made no difference.

I started emacs from the command line (xterm) under strace, and the
resulting strace has no lines which grep could find with grep -i gtk.

My LXQT menu system doesn't display a LX-runner that I can see.  I
spawned lxqt-runner from a command line (xterm), and it popped a box up
on the screen.  Having it try to spawn emacs did not result in a GUI
emacs session.

~/.xsession-errors doesn't seem to have anything applicable.

/var/log/messages doesn't seem to have anything applicable.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't seem to have anything applicable.

running strace -o /tmp/emacs2.strace emacs -q --geometry80x36 from
lxqt-runner does not start a GUI emacs.  The strace output ends with a
message to STDERR that STDIN is not a tty.  I don't know if there is
anything else useful in the strace output.

There doesn't seem to be any information here, which might help in
identifying what is happening. If you had suggestions for what other
things to try, I might be able to provide more information.

-- System Information:
Distributor ID:	Devuan
Description:	Devuan GNU/Linux beowulf/ceres
Release:	10
Codename:	n/a
Architecture: x86_64

Kernel: Linux 5.2.0-3-amd64 (SMP w/12 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8),
LANGUAGE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8) Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: sysvinit (via /sbin/init)

Versions of packages emacs depends on:
ii  emacs-nox  1:26.3+1-1

emacs recommends no packages.

emacs suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information

---

From: Gordon Haverland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 09:10:44 -0700

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 16:33:04 -0500
[email-masked] (Devuan bug Tracking System) wrote:

> Thank you for the problem report you have sent regarding Devuan.

Hello.

Please close this bug report, it was a misunderstanding on my part.

Gord

---

From: "Devuan bug Tracking System" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 01:18:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#360: emacs: No GUI emacs, no LXQT Menu for Emacs

It has been closed by "Ralph Ronnquist (rrq)" <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact "Ralph Ronnquist (rrq)" <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
360: bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=360
Devuan Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: ack
From: "Ralph Ronnquist (rrq)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 12:03:33 +1100

Subject: emacs: No GUI emacs, no LXQT Menu for Emacs
From: Gordon Haverland <[email-masked]>
To: Devuan Bug Tracking System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:23:47 -0700

Package: emacs
Version: 1:26.3+1-1
Severity: normal

Dear Maintainer,

-- System Information:
Distributor ID:	Devuan