Devuan bug report logs - #416
elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS

version graph

Package: elpa-debian-el; Maintainer for elpa-debian-el is (unknown);

Reported by: Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:33:06 UTC

Severity: wishlist

Found in version 37.8

Reply or subscribe to this bug.

Toggle useless messages

View this report as an mbox folder, status mbox, maintainer mbox


Report forwarded to devuan-bugs@lists.dyne.org, paddy-hack@member.fsf.org, devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org:
bug#416; Package elpa-debian-el. (Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:33:06 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>:
New bug report received and forwarded. Copy sent to paddy-hack@member.fsf.org, devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org. (Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:33:08 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #5 received at submit@bugs.devuan.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>
To: Devuan Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.devuan.org>
Subject: elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 20:24:27 +0900
Package: elpa-debian-el
Version: 37.8
Severity: wishlist

Dear Maintainer,

I prefer submitting bug reports via this Emacs add-on.  Unlike the
reportbug command-line utility, the Emacs add-on is not patched to
point to the Devuan BTS :-(

While I understand that the majority of bugs in Devuan are really for
the Debian maintainers to fix, some are not.  It would be nice if the
package could be Devuanized and provide a devuan-bug command or use the
Devuan BTS email address by default.  Maybe, the command could even be
made to look at the package's version to decide which address to use.

I am working around by manually changing the To: field for now.

-- System Information:
Architecture: x86_64

Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-8-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=C.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=C.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: sysvinit (via /sbin/init)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages elpa-debian-el depends on:
ii  bzip2           1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1
ii  dpkg            1.19.7
ii  emacsen-common  3.0.4
ii  reportbug       7.5.3+devuan3
ii  xz-utils        5.2.4-1

Versions of packages elpa-debian-el recommends:
ii  emacs              1:26.1+1-3.2+deb10u1
ii  emacs-gtk [emacs]  1:26.1+1-3.2+deb10u1
pn  wget               <none>

elpa-debian-el suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information

--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
 GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13  F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
 Support Free Software                        https://my.fsf.org/donate
 Join the Free Software Foundation              https://my.fsf.org/join

Information forwarded to devuan-bugs@lists.dyne.org, devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org:
bug#416; Package elpa-debian-el. (Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:33:01 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #8 received at 416@bugs.devuan.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>
To: Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>, 416@bugs.devuan.org
Subject: Re: bug#416: elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:12:42 +0000
Olaf,

Thanks for this.

We have a problem with bug reporting tools as they are generally designed to
work with a single BTS. reportbug itself does work with multiple BTS and I am working
at a system which automatically sends bugs to the correct BTS depending on the
source of the package.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 08:24:27PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Package: elpa-debian-el
> Version: 37.8
> Severity: wishlist
> 
> Dear Maintainer,
> 
> I prefer submitting bug reports via this Emacs add-on.  Unlike the
> reportbug command-line utility, the Emacs add-on is not patched to
> point to the Devuan BTS :-(

However, as far as elpa-debian-el goes, does setting the variables
debian-bug-mail-address, debian-bug-mail-quiet-address and
debian-bug-mail-maintonly-address to their @bugs.devuan.org equivalents work?

Mark

Information forwarded to devuan-bugs@lists.dyne.org, devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org:
bug#416; Package elpa-debian-el. (Sun, 29 Mar 2020 04:33:01 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org. (Sun, 29 Mar 2020 04:33:04 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #13 received at 416@bugs.devuan.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>
To: Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>
Cc: 416@bugs.devuan.org
Subject: Re: bug#416: elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 13:19:28 +0900
Hi Mark,

Mark Hindley writes:

> Olaf,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> We have a problem with bug reporting tools as they are generally designed to
> work with a single BTS. reportbug itself does work with multiple BTS and I am working
> at a system which automatically sends bugs to the correct BTS depending on the
> source of the package.

Is that server-side or client-side?  I hope the latter as I believe that
reportbug can be made to look at the package's version to decide which
of the Devuan and Debian BTSs should be targetted.

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 08:24:27PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Package: elpa-debian-el
>> Version: 37.8
>> Severity: wishlist
>>
>> Dear Maintainer,
>>
>> I prefer submitting bug reports via this Emacs add-on.  Unlike the
>> reportbug command-line utility, the Emacs add-on is not patched to
>> point to the Devuan BTS :-(
>
> However, as far as elpa-debian-el goes, does setting the variables
> debian-bug-mail-address, debian-bug-mail-quiet-address and
> debian-bug-mail-maintonly-address to their @bugs.devuan.org equivalents work?

I've tested this in #420 but, as noted there too, there are a lot of
other references to debian.org that may need to be updated as well for
full integration.  While desirable, I don't think that's a priority
though.

Looking through debian-bugs.el, I noticed that debian-bug-prefill-report
throws out the mail headers generated by reportbug :-o
The mail headers generated by reportbug already use the Devuan addresses
so it may be better to defer to those if available.  That's not really a
Devuan-specific issue though.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
 GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13  F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
 Support Free Software                        https://my.fsf.org/donate
 Join the Free Software Foundation              https://my.fsf.org/join

Information forwarded to devuan-bugs@lists.dyne.org, devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org:
bug#416; Package elpa-debian-el. (Sun, 29 Mar 2020 10:18:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org. (Sun, 29 Mar 2020 10:18:05 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #18 received at 416@bugs.devuan.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>
To: Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>
Cc: 416@bugs.devuan.org
Subject: Re: bug#416: elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 10:59:24 +0100
On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 01:19:28PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> 
> Mark Hindley writes:
> 
> > Olaf,
> >
> > Thanks for this.
> >
> > We have a problem with bug reporting tools as they are generally designed to
> > work with a single BTS. reportbug itself does work with multiple BTS and I am working
> > at a system which automatically sends bugs to the correct BTS depending on the
> > source of the package.
> 
> Is that server-side or client-side?  I hope the latter as I believe that
> reportbug can be made to look at the package's version to decide which
> of the Devuan and Debian BTSs should be targetted.

Yes, client-side. We can use 'Origin: Devuan' in our packages to distinguish in
reportbug once all Devuan's packages have that added to their source
debian/control.

> > However, as far as elpa-debian-el goes, does setting the variables
> > debian-bug-mail-address, debian-bug-mail-quiet-address and
> > debian-bug-mail-maintonly-address to their @bugs.devuan.org equivalents work?
> 
> I've tested this in #420 but, as noted there too, there are a lot of
> other references to debian.org that may need to be updated as well for
> full integration.  While desirable, I don't think that's a priority
> though.

I am glad that is a temporary work-around.

> Looking through debian-bugs.el, I noticed that debian-bug-prefill-report
> throws out the mail headers generated by reportbug :-o
> The mail headers generated by reportbug already use the Devuan addresses
> so it may be better to defer to those if available.  That's not really a
> Devuan-specific issue though.

That seems bizzarre behaviour! Maybe that is worth bugging Debian about?

Thanks

Mark

Information forwarded to devuan-bugs@lists.dyne.org, devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org:
bug#416; Package elpa-debian-el. (Mon, 30 Mar 2020 12:18:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org. (Mon, 30 Mar 2020 12:18:05 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #23 received at 416@bugs.devuan.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>
To: Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>
Cc: 416@bugs.devuan.org
Subject: Re: bug#416: elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:58:36 +0900
Mark Hindley writes:

> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 01:19:28PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Mark Hindley writes:
>>
>> > Olaf,
>> >
>> > Thanks for this.
>> >
>> > We have a problem with bug reporting tools as they are generally designed to
>> > work with a single BTS. reportbug itself does work with multiple BTS and I am working
>> > at a system which automatically sends bugs to the correct BTS depending on the
>> > source of the package.
>>
>> Is that server-side or client-side?  I hope the latter as I believe that
>> reportbug can be made to look at the package's version to decide which
>> of the Devuan and Debian BTSs should be targetted.
>
> Yes, client-side. We can use 'Origin: Devuan' in our packages to distinguish in
> reportbug once all Devuan's packages have that added to their source
> debian/control.

Good, but can't you use the package's version already?  I thought that
all repackaged packages have to add a `devuan` in their version.
I just ran

  dpkg-query -W | grep devuan

on my ASCII machine and only devuan-keyring didn't have `devuan` in its
version.  I think that's fair enough.  Are there other Devuan specific
packages that do not follow this rule of thumb?

Don't get me wrong, making all Devuan specific or repackaged packages
have an "Origin: Devuan" is a Good Thing.  I was just thinking you do
not have to wait for that when using package versions for the bulk of
packages.

>> > However, as far as elpa-debian-el goes, does setting the variables
>> > debian-bug-mail-address, debian-bug-mail-quiet-address and
>> > debian-bug-mail-maintonly-address to their @bugs.devuan.org equivalents work?
>>
>> I've tested this in #420 but, as noted there too, there are a lot of
>> other references to debian.org that may need to be updated as well for
>> full integration.  While desirable, I don't think that's a priority
>> though.
>
> I am glad that is a temporary work-around.
>
>> Looking through debian-bugs.el, I noticed that debian-bug-prefill-report
>> throws out the mail headers generated by reportbug :-o
>> The mail headers generated by reportbug already use the Devuan addresses
>> so it may be better to defer to those if available.  That's not really a
>> Devuan-specific issue though.
>
> That seems bizzarre behaviour! Maybe that is worth bugging Debian about?

I am thinking about doing so but I'll have to find some time to do so.
Maybe next weekend.  My SANE activities eat up most of my free time at
the moment.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
 GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13  F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
 Support Free Software                        https://my.fsf.org/donate
 Join the Free Software Foundation              https://my.fsf.org/join

Information forwarded to devuan-bugs@lists.dyne.org, devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org:
bug#416; Package elpa-debian-el. (Mon, 30 Mar 2020 13:33:02 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Acknowledgement sent to Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>:
Extra info received and forwarded to list. Copy sent to devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org. (Mon, 30 Mar 2020 13:33:03 GMT) (full text, mbox, link).


Message #28 received at 416@bugs.devuan.org (full text, mbox, reply):

From: Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>
To: Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@member.fsf.org>
Cc: 416@bugs.devuan.org
Subject: Re: bug#416: elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 14:23:39 +0100
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 08:58:36PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > Yes, client-side. We can use 'Origin: Devuan' in our packages to distinguish in
> > reportbug once all Devuan's packages have that added to their source
> > debian/control.
> 
> Good, but can't you use the package's version already?  I thought that
> all repackaged packages have to add a `devuan` in their version.
> I just ran
> 
>   dpkg-query -W | grep devuan
> 
> on my ASCII machine and only devuan-keyring didn't have `devuan` in its
> version.  I think that's fair enough.  Are there other Devuan specific
> packages that do not follow this rule of thumb?

Yes, a few. Notably elogind, eudev, consolkit2, some themes, refractainstaller,
choose-init, and several others that still have the (very old?) +vuaN numbering.

The problem with using +devuanN in the version as the test is that these package
reports would then be sent to Debian which would be unpopular!

> > That seems bizzarre behaviour! Maybe that is worth bugging Debian about?
> 
> I am thinking about doing so but I'll have to find some time to do so.
> Maybe next weekend.  My SANE activities eat up most of my free time at
> the moment.
> 
> Hope this helps,

Yes, many thanks.

Mark

Send a report that this bug log contains spam.


Devuan BTS -- Powered by Debian bug tracking system
Copyright (C) 1999 Darren O. Benham,
1997,2003 nCipher Corporation Ltd, 1994-97 Ian Jackson,
2005-2017 Don Armstrong, and many other contributors.

Devuan Bugs Owner <owner@bugs.devuan.org>.
Last modified: Tue Oct 27 11:25:15 2020;