Subject: bug#416: elpa-debian-el: Reports go to the Debian BTS

From: Olaf Meeuwissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 20:24:27 +0900

Package: elpa-debian-el
Version: 37.8
Severity: wishlist

Dear Maintainer,

I prefer submitting bug reports via this Emacs add-on.  Unlike the
reportbug command-line utility, the Emacs add-on is not patched to
point to the Devuan BTS :-(

While I understand that the majority of bugs in Devuan are really for
the Debian maintainers to fix, some are not.  It would be nice if the
package could be Devuanized and provide a devuan-bug command or use the
Devuan BTS email address by default.  Maybe, the command could even be
made to look at the package's version to decide which address to use.

I am working around by manually changing the To: field for now.

-- System Information:
Architecture: x86_64

Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-8-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=C.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=C.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: sysvinit (via /sbin/init)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages elpa-debian-el depends on:
ii  bzip2           1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1
ii  dpkg            1.19.7
ii  emacsen-common  3.0.4
ii  reportbug       7.5.3+devuan3
ii  xz-utils        5.2.4-1

Versions of packages elpa-debian-el recommends:
ii  emacs              1:26.1+1-3.2+deb10u1
ii  emacs-gtk [emacs]  1:26.1+1-3.2+deb10u1
pn  wget               <none>

elpa-debian-el suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information

--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
 GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13  F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
 Support Free Software                        https://my.fsf.org/donate
 Join the Free Software Foundation              https://my.fsf.org/join

---

From: Mark Hindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:12:42 +0000

Olaf,

Thanks for this.

We have a problem with bug reporting tools as they are generally designed to
work with a single BTS. reportbug itself does work with multiple BTS and I am working
at a system which automatically sends bugs to the correct BTS depending on the
source of the package.

> point to the Devuan BTS :-(

However, as far as elpa-debian-el goes, does setting the variables
debian-bug-mail-address, debian-bug-mail-quiet-address and
debian-bug-mail-maintonly-address to their @bugs.devuan.org equivalents work?

Mark

---

From: Olaf Meeuwissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 13:19:28 +0900

Hi Mark,

> at a system which automatically sends bugs to the correct BTS depending on the

Is that server-side or client-side?  I hope the latter as I believe that
reportbug can be made to look at the package's version to decide which
of the Devuan and Debian BTSs should be targetted.

> debian-bug-mail-maintonly-address to their @bugs.devuan.org equivalents work?

I've tested this in #420 but, as noted there too, there are a lot of
other references to debian.org that may need to be updated as well for
full integration.  While desirable, I don't think that's a priority
though.

Looking through debian-bugs.el, I noticed that debian-bug-prefill-report
throws out the mail headers generated by reportbug :-o
The mail headers generated by reportbug already use the Devuan addresses
so it may be better to defer to those if available.  That's not really a
Devuan-specific issue though.

Hope this helps,

---

From: Mark Hindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 10:59:24 +0100

> of the Devuan and Debian BTSs should be targetted.

Yes, client-side. We can use 'Origin: Devuan' in our packages to distinguish in
reportbug once all Devuan's packages have that added to their source
debian/control.

> full integration.  While desirable, I don't think that's a priority

I am glad that is a temporary work-around.

> Devuan-specific issue though.

That seems bizzarre behaviour! Maybe that is worth bugging Debian about?

Thanks

Mark

---

From: Olaf Meeuwissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:58:36 +0900

> reportbug once all Devuan's packages have that added to their source

Good, but can't you use the package's version already?  I thought that
all repackaged packages have to add a `devuan` in their version.
I just ran

  dpkg-query -W | grep devuan

on my ASCII machine and only devuan-keyring didn't have `devuan` in its
version.  I think that's fair enough.  Are there other Devuan specific
packages that do not follow this rule of thumb?

Don't get me wrong, making all Devuan specific or repackaged packages
have an "Origin: Devuan" is a Good Thing.  I was just thinking you do
not have to wait for that when using package versions for the bulk of
packages.

> That seems bizzarre behaviour! Maybe that is worth bugging Debian about?

I am thinking about doing so but I'll have to find some time to do so.
Maybe next weekend.  My SANE activities eat up most of my free time at
the moment.

Hope this helps,

---

From: Mark Hindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 14:23:39 +0100

> packages that do not follow this rule of thumb?

Yes, a few. Notably elogind, eudev, consolkit2, some themes, refractainstaller,
choose-init, and several others that still have the (very old?) +vuaN numbering.

The problem with using +devuanN in the version as the test is that these package
reports would then be sent to Debian which would be unpopular!

> Maybe next weekend.  My SANE activities eat up most of my free time at

Yes, many thanks.

Mark