Subject: bug#651: devuan-installer: No support for runit as init on air-gapped installs

From: Olaf Meeuwissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 16:32:34 +0900

Package: devuan-installer
Version: 5.0.preview-20211220
Severity: normal
X-Debbugs-Cc: Olaf Meeuwissen <[email-masked]>

Dear Maintainer,

Playing with devuan_daedalus_5.0.preview-20211220_amd64_netinstall.iso I
noticed that even though I select runit as my init system sysvinit-core
gets installed.  I've reported this behaviour before for chimaera in

 https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=584

I realize that the netinstall images assume a network connection but for
something as basic as the system's init I expected that to work without
one.  At the very least I expect to be notified that my selection is not
available without a network connection.

The runit-init package is a 30.9 kB download according to apt show so I
would think that size is not a reason to not include it in the image.

I have since replaced sysvinit-core with runit-init, which went without
any trouble (unlike the case I experienced with chimaera).  Just a

  apt install runit-init --purge
  reboot

did the trick for my, at that point, still very, very bare bones system
without a GUI.

Here's hoping all supported init systems will be installable from the
netinstall image without a network connection.

-- System Information:
Architecture: x86_64

Kernel: Linux 5.15.0-2-amd64 (SMP w/16 CPU threads)
Locale: LANG=C.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=C.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE not set
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: runit (via /run/runit.stopit)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled