Subject: bug#845: GRUB menu not transparent

From: Jerzy Sobczyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 23:29:31 +0100

Package: grub
Version: 2.06-13+deb12u1

Hello.

The file /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh
points to nonexisting image:
WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png

After installation of Devuan 5.0 Dedalus I have packages:
ii  grub-common                                   2.06-13+deb12u1
                   amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common
files)
ii  grub-efi-amd64                                2.06-13+deb12u1
                   amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2
(EFI-AMD64 version)
ii  grub-efi-amd64-bin                            2.06-13+deb12u1
                   amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2
(EFI-AMD64 modules)
ii  grub-efi-amd64-signed                         1+2.06+13+deb12u1
                   amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2
(amd64 UEFI signed by Debian)
ii  grub2-common                                  2.06-13+deb12u1
                   amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files
for version 2)

And the image is not present in them.
As a result the menu has blue not transparent background.

With Best Regards,
    Jerzy

---

From: Mark Hindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:13:40 +0000

Control: reassign -1 desktop-base
Control: affects -1 grub-pc grub-efi

Thanks.

> WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png

/usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh is in the desktop-base package. That
appears to be where the fix should be applied. So reassigning.

Mark

---

From: fsmithred <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 20:14:47 -0500

desktop-base appears to be working correctly for me. I'm not clear on what 
is meant by "blue background" vs. "transparent background". The grub bg 
for desktop-base in daedalus is blue. The grub boot screen without any 
splash has a blue box.

Here's the grub screen with desktop-base:
https://get.refracta.org/files/misc/grub-screen-daedalus.png

Here's what the default grub screen looks like (or it might say devuan 
instead of debian). You might get this if desktop-base is not installed or 
if your root partition is encrypted and grub can't access the desktop-base 
files.
https://get.refracta.org/files/misc/grub-no-splash.png

To use the grub theme with an encrypted root:
https://bgstack15.wordpress.com/2021/01/17/grub-with-a-theme-when-you-have-an-encrypted-root-filesystem/

HTH,
fsmithred