Subject: bug#884: /etc/logrotate.d/ulogd2: Questionable use of invoke-rc.d

From: Mark Hindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2025 17:44:39 +0100

Control: tags -1 debian

Opty,

On Tue, Apr 01, 2025 at 02:47:49PM +0200, Opty wrote:
> Package: ulogd2
> Version: 2.0.8-1
> 
> /etc/logrotate.d/ulogd2 uses invoke-rc.d to notify ulogd2 to reopen
> logs but it doesn't work when using policy-rcd-declarative-deny-all so
> shouldn't the logrotate configuration snippet use rather 'service' ?

Possibly, but I am not sure. Certainly all the other /etc/logrotate.d examples I
can find use invoke-rc.d. It may be to prevent rotation in chroots and the like
when it would fail. Also, if you have prevented services from starting int he
first place, there is no need to rotate the logs later. Why do you have
policy-rcd-declarative-deny-all installed? What is your intention in doing that?
                                                                                                                                                           
However, I am sure that ulogd2 isn't forked in Devuan and so this should be
reported directly to Debian's BTS if you really think there is an issue.

Mark